Technical Editor in Chief Search
The Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA) invites applications for the position of Technical Editor-in-Chief (TEIC) of the Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association (JA&WMA). This is a part-time contractual position with the individual operating out of their permanent location. Anticipated time commitment is estimated to be 10-15 hours per week.
JA&WMA is copyedited, printed, and distributed by the world-renowned academic publisher Taylor & Francis (T&F). T&F maintains and markets JA&WMA’s online presence, including current issues, as well as the journal’s electronic archives, dating back to 1951. JA&WMA seeks to be the leading technical communicator for applied and policy-relevant science and technology topics focused on protecting the environment and human health for air and waste management. Additional information is available online.
T&F employs the ScholarOne web-based manuscript submittal and review system. The TEIC will be required to become proficient in administering the journal’s peer review process using ScholarOne and will be expected to train any clerical staff in the use of the ScholarOne system.
The TEIC will have primary responsibility for maintaining and enhancing the high standards of JA&WMA with a specific goal of continuing the growth of the Impact Factor achieved over the last decade (e.g., 2013 Impact Factor: 1.171, 2019 Impact Factor: 2.245). The TEIC also will provide technical direction to and work closely with the T&F journal staff and the Association’s liaison at the headquarters office in Pittsburgh, PA, to ensure timely publication. The term of the appointment will be 5 years with extensions by mutual agreement.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the journal’s strict peer-review process to ensure a forum for the exchange of state-of-the-art technical information;
- Screening all incoming manuscripts and assigning selected articles to peer reviewers or to an Associate Editor for selection of peer reviewers via the ScholarOne system;
- In conjunction with the Editorial Review Board, establishing and maintaining quality assurance measures to ensure that only the highest-quality technical papers are accepted for publication;
- Ensuring timely and responsible reviews and rapid turn-around time for all submitted manuscripts by tracking the timeline for communicating an initial decision to the authors;
- Reviewing peer reviewers’ reports and deciding whether to accept or reject each manuscript or to seek additional reviews;
- Resolving disputes regarding publication;
- Overseeing publication of letters to the editor;
- Providing editorial comments as appropriate;
- Soliciting invited review papers from experts;
- Creating special issues on topics of interest to the scientific community;
- Identifying and creating collection of articles from published and in-press articles to create “virtual special issues” on focused topics to promote JA&WMA papers and topics of current interest;
- Identifying important JA&WMA papers for promotion to the scientific community through T&F;
- Reviewing and recommending candidates for Associate Editor positions to JA&WMA’s Editorial Review Board in accordance with the Association’s policy of fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as ensuring relevant geographic coverage; and
- Presenting periodic reports of activities to the Editorial Review Board and Publications Committee.
The TEIC will have a record of excellence and leadership commensurate with a senior-level position. The TEIC should have a history of technical publications in peer-reviewed journals and be widely recognized and respected. The TEIC must have time to devote to editorial tasks and be willing to take on the responsibility for 5 years. The TEIC need not presently be a member of A&WMA, but should have some knowledge of the journal and must join the Association upon acceptance of the position. The TEIC will have broad experience in one, but preferably more, of the following areas:
- Air quality measurements, modeling, and analyses;
- Atmospheric processes;
- Climate change;
- Air pollution control technology;
- Solid and hazardous waste management;
- Hazardous waste treatment;
- Risk assessment;
- Public health effects related to exposure to air pollution and hazardous wastes;
- Air and waste regulatory issues;
- Environmental management; and
- Pollution prevention/sustainable development.
The position will include an honorarium and modest support for clerical staff and expenses, including travel to the A&WMA Annual Conference & Exhibition.
Please submit (1) a cover letter (3 pages maximum) describing your qualifications for the position, your technical and managerial strengths, how you propose to accommodate the additional responsibilities, your willingness to take on the responsibility for 5 years, and a brief description of your vision for JA&WMA; (2) a resume of past experience with this or other scientific publications; and (3) names and contact information of three references familiar with your technical and managerial qualifications. In the cover letter, please also indicate your willingness to either work alone or potentially as part of a multi-editor model (e.g., divided responsibilities for air vs. waste management manuscripts). Short-listed candidates will be asked to submit a detailed statement describing their vision for JA&WMA, proposed structure for the editorial office, budget, and any institutional support. Application packages should be forwarded to:
Journal Technical Editor-in-Chief Search Committee
We originally announced that review of applications will begin September 10, 2021, and will continue until a suitable applicant is found. Update: Interested applicants now are encouraged to submit applications by the firm deadline of October 15. As stated previously, interviews of the short-listed candidates will be held in October/November 2021. A&WMA anticipates selecting the new TEIC by December 31, 2021.
A search committee comprised of members of A&WMA’s Publications Committee and Editorial Review Board will review applications and interview short-listed candidates. The final selection must be approved by A&WMA’s Board of Directors.
Please contact A&WMA Managing Editor Lisa Bucher with any questions about this solicitation; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +1-412-904-6023.